Wednesday, July 22, 2015

There Was A Girl: Mayone Woodbury


Mayone Woodbury was born in Portland, Oregon on January 22, 1943 while her dad was stationed there during WWII. Mayone's parents, William Evans Woodbury, Jr. and Donna Stephenson, were raised in Hurricane, Utah and Holden, Utah respectively.

The Woodbury Family 1958

Mayone was the eldest of five Woodbury children followed by her siblings Bill, LoRane, Sue, and Stephen. Over the course of her childhood Mayone and the Woodbury family lived in Malad Idaho, Brigham City, and North Ogden, Utah. 


In high school Mayone enjoyed student government, drama, and language arts.

Mayone attended and graduated from Weber High School. She then began studies at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah.  During her second year at BYU, Mayone and her cousin Sandra McConkie hatched a splendid plan to spend a year at Church College of Hawaii. When Sandra later announced that she was engaged to be married and wouldn't be going, Mayone was faced with the decision to cancel her plans or to go by herself. She decided... she would go. 

Mayone arrived in Hawaii in the fall of 1963 to spend her Junior year at Church College of Hawaii. She lived in the dorms and enjoyed getting to know people from many places around the world. 

Enjoying the CCH Campus

 Dorm Living 

Na Hoa Pono, CCH  1964 Yearbook Picture


Mayone, Spring 1964






1 comment:

  1. You may not believe this, but my birth name was "Mayone Woodbury." I had it legally changed a few years ago. Before that happened, I did a Google search for my name and imagine my surprise when I stumbled across someone else with the exact same name and spelling! I did some further digging with the intent to write a letter, but chickened out. I wish now I'd written. If you're interested in contacting me, I'm on Facebook or you can reach me at: WoodburyMM@gmail.com. P.S. I'm 21 years younger than her.

    ReplyDelete